Digicel is committed to respecting your privacy and to complying with applicable data protection and privacy laws. This Data Privacy Statement is provided to help you understand how we may collect, use, protect, and otherwise deal with your personal information.
You acknowledge that by providing your personal information to Digicel, you consent to the processing of your data in accordance with this Data Privacy Statement. You should read this notice in conjunction with the Terms and Conditions of use for our websites, apps and our products and services.
This Privacy Statement covers all Digicel businesses and entities in all countries in which it operates.
Personal Information Collection
Digicel collect and use your personal information with your knowledge and consent and typically when you:
- Use Digicel’s wide range of products and services that are offered or for which you may choose to opt-in;
- Make customer enquiries, register for information or other services;
- Respond to communications from us (such as SMS, emails, questionnaires or surveys);
- Interact with Digcel’s websites such as submitting an application form, completing survey form, use online services. (If your browser has Internet cookies enabled it can facilitate Digicel’s tracking of personal preferences, pages visited etc);
- Participate on Digicel’s social media pages such as Facebook;
- Participate in Digicel’s promotional events, incentive or loyalty programs;
- Provide information through Digicel’s customer call centers, dealers and sales channels or any other affiliates or business dealings with Digicel by which you have consented to provide your personal information.
Types of Information Collected
The types of personal information that Digicel may collect include, but are not limited to:
- contact information (such as name, address, email address and telephone number)
- identification information (such as passport identification number, tax registration number or social security number, driver’s license, date of birth)
- demographic information (such as age range, marital status, gender)
- photographs such as those that you may submit for contests or prize winning competitions
- product specific information (such as preference, closed user group (CUGs), friends and family who you chose to include in your service plan, credit limit)
- banking information (such as direct debit and related bill payment banking transactions)
- service account information (such as call usage, account balances, transaction history, credit information, billing, loyalty points)
Any personal information collected by Digicel will be used in support of the intended purposes stated at the time at which it was collected, and subject to any preferences indicated by you. We may otherwise use your personal information to assist with service related issues, technical support, billing purposes, to enhance your customer service experience by providing you with specific products and services tailored to meet your needs, for general marketing campaigns, network protection, legal and regulatory compliance.
Digicel may from time to time offer and request your participation in various mobile applications to enhance user experience. If you chose to register for an application, we may obtain information about you and/or your mobile device. Digicel will use the information collected in accordance with this Privacy Statement. You may stop the collection of your personal information at any time by uninstalling the relevant applications for which you have registered or contact us and make a request to opt-out.
Digicel may also offer applications developed by third parties to enrich your experience. When you download a third party application to your mobile device, the third party affiliate may collect information about you in connection with your download or use of that application. Digicel is not responsible for the collection or use of information by third party application. Digicel recommend that you carefully review the privacy statement of each third party application prior to downloading or using them.
Digicel’s websites may contain links to third-party sites not controlled by Digicel or covered by this Privacy Statement, such as those belonging to Digicel dealers, co-branded websites offered in conjunction with a business partner, or independent product review sites. Digicel recommend that you check the Privacy Statement of other sites you visit before providing any personal information.
When you buy service from a Digicel dealer, the dealer will share your information with Digicel as your service provider. While Digicel encourages its dealers to ensure full compliance with all applicable data privacy or data protection laws and policies, and has provided information to our dealers relating to non-disclosure obligations, Digicel is not responsible for dealers’ compliance with applicable laws.
Digicel does not sell, trade, transfer or otherwise share your personal information except in the following instances:
- as required by law, such as in conjunction with a subpoena, government inquiry, litigation, dispute resolution or similar legal process;
- when we believe in good faith that disclosure is necessary to protect our rights, protect your security, investigate fraud or respond to a law enforcement request;
- with Digicel service providers, field engineers, contractors who work on our behalf and who do not have an independent right to use the information to which they have access or that we disclose to them;
- with our business partners for Digicel’s marketing activities, in such case no specific personally identifiable information is provided, as such information is generally aggregated;
- with third parties for research and development purposes;
- with our subsidiaries and affiliates such as Digicel dealers;
Third parties must in all cases agree to a strict duty to keep all personal information confidential and to use it only for the purpose for which it was obtained.
Digicel will endeavor to ensure adequate commercial agreement is established with third party affiliates with respect to cloud computing services and exporting of data to countries in accordance with applicable legislation governing different territories. Digicel also ensures secure data transfers using well-known security technologies and practices to secure data from unauthorized access or interception. However, please be aware that communications over the public Internet, such as emails/webmails, facsimile, are not secure unless they have been encrypted. Your communications may route through a number of countries before being delivered - this is the nature of the World Wide Web/Intranet. Digicel cannot accept responsibility for any unauthorised access or loss of personal information that is beyond our control.
Digicel retains data for a specific period of time required, however certain data can be retained for longer periods as required by the laws of the territory within which the specific service is operated.
We are concerned about safeguarding the confidentiality of your information. We provide physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards to protect information we process and maintain. For example, we limit access to this information to authorized employees and contractors who need to know that information in order to operate, develop or improve our services. We also engage well-known technologies including but not limited to firewalls, intrusion detection, SSL (Secure Sockets Layer), routine network vulnerability assessment and 24 x 7 monitoring of its network. Please be aware that although we endeavor to provide reasonable security for information we process and maintain, no security system can prevent all potential security breaches.
Digicel websites use common Internet technologies, such as cookies and web beacons, to keep track of user interaction with the sites, to remember user preferences and to maximize the user experience and performance of the website and services. For example, using cookies on our websites provides benefits to you, such as allowing you to autofill fields on forms, provide details of last time you login online. You can disable the cookie and the information will not be collected. Please refer to your browser Help instructions to learn more about cookies and how to manage their use. If you choose to decline cookies, some of the functionality of a website may be impaired.
Privacy Support & Inquiries
If you have concerns or questions regarding this Privacy Statement or if you wish to update your personal information or stop the collection of your personal information, please contact us at email@example.com or +1 876 619-5000.
Changes to Privacy Statement
Digicel reserves the right to amend or modify this Privacy Statement at any time and in response to changes in applicable data protection and privacy legislation. Notice of any such change along with the revised policy will be posted on our website.
Effective date: October 20, 2014