1. What is Digicel Broadband?
Digicel Broadband is Digicel’s new high-speed mobile internet service which uses the 3G or third generation of GSM wireless technologies. It comes with enhancements over previous 2G wireless technologies (GPRS, EDGE), like higher data speed and enhanced audio, video and application upload and download experience.
2. When did you launch Digicel Broadband?
Digicel Broadband was officially launched 6th May at 00:00 hrs.
3. What is UMTS and HSPA
UMTS (Universal Mobile Telephone Service) and HSPA (High Speed Packet Access) are most commonly used technologies terms when referring to 3G GSM technologies. To simplify, UMTS/HSPA are 3G terminologies while GPRS/EDGE are 2G terminologies.
4. What is the network coverage of Digicel Broadband?
Digicel Broadband will be available in the key areas in POM, Lae, Hagen and Kokopo. (see network coverage map).
5. What do I need to be able to use Digicel Broadband?
You will need the following:
• A Digicel prepaid or postpaid SIM.
• Any 3G and 900Mhz compatible device.
• Credit balance on your prepaid or postpaid account.
• And you should be within the Digicel Broadband network coverage area.
6. What are the available Broadband devices?
• Mi-Fi Devices
7. Where is Digicel Broadband available (in terms of network coverage)?
Broadband will be initially available in the key areas in POM, Lae, Hagen and Kokopo. (see attached network coverage map). Expansion in other areas will be announced soon.
8. How will I know that I am in the Digicel Broadband coverage area?
You will need to look at your Broadband device and it will indicate 3G, UMTS or HSPA next to the signal strength/bars on the handset or device. Sometimes a compatible device may not pick up the 3G/UMTS/HSPA signal automatically so you may have to do a hard reset (remove battery) of the device. If you are not on the Digicel Broadband coverage area, you will see on your device E for EDGE or G for GPRS.
9. I am in the Broadband coverage area but seeing only EDGE on my handset – what does that mean?
If you are seeing EDGE on your handset it could be for a few reasons
• Your mobile phone is not compatible with 3G.
• Your mobile phone is not compatible with 900Mhz GSM frequency band
• You are in an area where there is weak or no Broadband coverage.
10. What is GSM frequency band?
GSM frequency bands or frequency ranges are the cellular frequencies designated by Government Telecommunication authorities (NICTA in the case of PNG) for the operation of GSM Mobile network. The Digicel Broadband data network uses the 900Mhz frequency band hence, only devices compatible with this frequency can use the broadband service.
11. What happens if I move in and out of Digicel Broadband coverage area?
We still have a fully functioning EDGE network running parallel to our 3G network. Your device will automatically connect to the available GPRS/EDGE network until the Broadband network is available. The switch between networks is seamless.
12. What kind of speed should I expect from Digicel Broadband?
You will experience broadband speeds up to 2 Mbps.
13. The device brochures indicates 7.2mbps download speed, how come I will only experience up to 2mbps?
Theoretically, 3G compatible devices can download up to 7.2mbps but due to several factors affecting speed, on the average you will experience speeds from 300kbps up to 2mbps within the Digicel Broadband network coverage area.
14. On what factors does Broadband speed depend?
• Speed depends on the type of handset or device used
• Location of Use (outdoor has stronger signal than indoor, the farther you are from the network tower, the weaker the signal).
• Network traffic and number of users currently using the network at that point of time.
15. Is it possible that I get Broadband services on my existing number?
Yes, all existing and new prepaid and postpaid mobile numbers are provisioned for Broadband.
16. Will I have to change my SIM to migrate to 3G?
No, you can access Broadband from your existing SIM.
17. What will happen if I am out of 3G coverage area?
You will continue to access 2G/2.5G (GSM/GPRS/EDGE) services in areas where Broadband coverage is absent. Please ensure that your network setting is on dual mode or automatic.
18. Do I need to do any settings on my existing mobile handset for 3G?
YES. You will have to select 3G/UMTS Dual mode in your handset for network selection. You will also require the correct settings if you are currently not using GPRS/EDGE.
19. I don’t have the correct settings, how will get this?
You may freecall our Customer Care 123 for prepaid and 126 for postpaid. They will get the type of device that you are using and send the settings to you over the air through the OTA platform. If you’re device is not supported by the OTA platform, the agent will assist you on how to set up your device and configure the correct settings.
20. What is the APN of Digicel Broadband?
Digicel Broadband will use the same APN as the current EDGE. For web-compatible devices, the APN is internet.digicelpng.com
For wap-enabled devices, the APN is wap.digicelpng.com
21. Do I need a separate SIM card to use Broadband services?
No. Alll existing and new SIMs are Broadband enabled by default.
22. Do I have a separate helpline number to call for Broadband service queries & complaints?
The current Customer Care hotline numbers will be used to received calls regarding Broadband. Hotline no. 123 is for prepaid customers while 126 is for postpaid customers.
23. Do I need a separate handset to use Broadband services?
Yes, in order to use Broadband services you need to have a handset or device which is compatible with Digicel Broadband network, in case your handset is already Broadband compatible then you don’t need to purchase a new phone. Different 3G handsets have different speed capabilities, we recommend that you use an HSPA enabled handset or device for the best experience.
If you have your own 3G compatible device currently, all you need to do is buy a Digicel SIM and configure the correct settings on your device by calling our Customer Care.
24. If I need a new 3G device then do I need to purchase it only from Digicel or any open market handset will also work fine?
It is not necessary to purchase a 3G device only from Digicel; you can buy one from the open handset market but ensure that it is 3G HSPA or HSPA+ or 900mhz compatible so that you can access the Digicel Broadband network.
25. Do I need to configure any special settings on my device to use Broadband?
Most of the devices sold by Digicel are preconfigured for Broadband. In case the device is not pre-configured, please call our Customer Care and they will assist you in setting up your device.
You can also configure the settings by yourself by entering the APN name on the device e.g. internet.digicelpng.com and dial-up no. is *99#. No username and passwords are required.
26. Some 3G networks support video calling, do you support this?
No, video calling is not supported. We will publicly announce as soon as this product becomes available on the Digicel Broadband network.
27. Can I connect my handset to my PC or laptop to use 3G services & access internet as a fast speed?
Connecting a handset to laptop or PC is called tethering, this is definitely possible on Digicel Broadband network with high speeds provided your device allows / supports tethering. The charges will be applicable as per the tariff plan activated.
28. How fast is Broadband speed as compared to EDGE?
Theoretically, you will get 10 to 30 times faster speeds on Digicel Broadband network as compared to GPRS/EDGE.
29. Does 3G improve my voice quality automatically?
No, the voice quality is the same in 2G and 3G.
30. How will I know if my handset is 3G compatible?
Check your device brochures and it will indicate if it’s 3G compatible. It normally indicates 3G/UMTS/HSDPA/HSPA compatibility and also, it will indicate the GSM frequency bands supported.
31. What available Broadband devices can I purchase from Digicel?
Below is a list of devices that Digicel is selling in the market.
• RRP above are GST inclusive.
• Some of the devices may not be available at the time of purchase. Please consult with Sales and Distribution for device availability.
• The existing handsets and devices currently being sold or was sold in the past and not in above list, are not Broadband compatible.
32. What are the available rate plans on Digicel Broadband?
Prepaid (Pay as You Go)
Notes: Rates above are GST inclusive and in Kina
33. What are the different time bands applied to Digicel Broadband?
Peak Hours is 8am to 8pm daily. Off Peak Hours is 8pm to 8am daily.
34. How will I be billed for my Broadband usage?
Your Broadband usage will be billed based on your usage.
For prepaid, it’s Pay as You Go. So if you download a 1mb file during off peak hours then you will be charged 25t.
For postpaid, if you are not subscribed to any of the Monthly Data Plans then your usage will be charged with the out-bundle rates. If you are subscribed to any of the Monthly Plans, then your usage within the allocated bundle will not be charged (however you pay a monthly fee for this bundle), then when you’re bundle is fully depleted charging will go back to Pay as You Go.
35. I am subscribed to the current Data Plans e.g. Data Silver, will there be changes in line with the launch of Digicel Broadband?
Yes. The monthly fee of your current Data Plans will not change. However, we will increase the size of the current bundle which then reduces your effective rate per MB. We will also reduce the out- of-bundle rates (the same as the new rate plans).
The new size of the bundle for current data plans e.g. Data Silver, Data Gold, Data Platinum and Data Silver Plus will only take effect on 25th May. However, the new and lower out-of-bundle rates will take effect as early as 6th May 2011.
36. Is there a postpaid data bundle roll over?
No. Unused postpaid data bundles will not be carried/rolled over to the next billing cycle.
37. Is pricing/charging the same if I am using EDGE or 3G?
Yes, pricing and charging is the same regardless if you are using the EDGE or 3G/Broadband network.
38. I purchased a device and found out that I don’t have Broadband coverage in my preferred location of use, can I return the device and get a refund?
Yes, but you have to return the device and present the receipt within 7 days at the point of purchase. The device should also be in an acceptable good condition.
39. Can I do 3G data roaming?
Yes, for now only Postpaid customers can do outbound data roaming. Outbound data roamers are required to pay a roaming deposit of K500 (per MSISDN). This money is refundable if unused upon return to home country. Current roaming activation process shall apply.
40. Do I need a special top up card to top up my Digicel Broadband account?
No. The current methods of top up e.g. flex card, EVD, Online Top Up , BSP SMS Top Up can be used to top up a Digicel Broadband account.
41. I am using a dongle and tablet, how can I check my credit balance?
You can check your credit balance by sending a blank message to 120. Sending SMS to this short code is free.
42. I am using a dongle and/or tablet, how can I check my mobile no.?
You can check your credit balance by sending a blank message to 777. Sending SMS to this short code is charged at 5 toea.
43. Where can I buy Digicel Broadband device and SIM?
You can buy prepaid Digicel Broadband at the Digicel Flagships, Digicel retail stores, Digicel Direct Sales (roadshows) and via your Corporate Account Manager.
Buying a postpaid Digicel Broadband can only be done via a Corporate Account Manager.
44. How will this be communicated?
It will be promoted aggressively Above the line and below the line.
• TV Ads
• Radio Ads
• Print Ads
• SMS Blast
• In-store collaterals
45. What are the key features and advantages of Digicel Broadband?
Key features and advantages of Digicel Broadband
• High speed internet up to 20x faster than the EDGE.
• Enhanced audio, video and application upload and download speed.
• Rates are very affordable. 33t during peak hours and even lower during off peak hours only 25t per MB. The nearest competitor is charging 40t per MB.
• Competitive postpaid rate plans (Light, Active, Heavy) available that suits the requirements of Corporate customers.
• Highly-skilled and trained staff available to take your calls 24 x 7 days a week.
• Widest range of Broadband devices available from handset, dongles, tablets and mifi.
46.Can I use 3G data roaming when travelling abroad?
Yes. You can 3G data roam in the following networks/countries.
• Maxis Malaysia
• Globe Philippines
• Bharti India
• Celcom Malaysia
• China Unicom
• 2Degress New Zealand
• Vodafone Netherlands
• Note: Products Team will continue to update you as soon as we launch more 3G roaming partners.
Tips for 3G Data Roamers
• Before departure, check the full list of Digicel’s live 3G roaming partners/countries.
• Please also check data roaming rates as these are very expensive compared to normal rates.
• Ensure that you have sufficient credit balance on your account. This is to avoid credit limit barring while you are travelling.
• You are not required to change any setting on your Digicel Broadband device.
• When you arrive at your destination, your Broadband device will automatically select Digicel’s 3G roaming partner. Otherwise, on your phone go to Network Selection and select the available Digicel 3G roaming partner.
• Data roaming usage is very expensive so use it only when necessary.