Residents of the Marie Atkins Shelter and victims of the recent Mark Lane fire will be having a merrier Christmas courtesy of Digicel. Keeping in line with their Merry Millions Christmas promotion where Digicel is giving a million dollars to one lucky customer each week, the communications and entertainment company also donated a million dollars in supplies to the homeless.
By this deed, Digicel is addressing two of the major causes of homelessness in downtown Kingston: One being the result of homes destroyed by fire; the other being persons who have fallen on hard times with no place to go.
“As a part of the downtown community, it is our responsibility to help our neighbours and support them in their time of need. The Marie Atkins Shelter is a place of refuge for many, so we wanted to make the facility an even more comfortable place to stay. As for the victims of the recent fire on Mark Lane, we know these supplies will go a far way in giving them a new start after such a devastating ordeal,” said Andrea Hardware, Director of Human Resources at Digicel.
Supplies received include, food, clothing, beds, pillows, mattresses, baby items and cleaning supplies.
Mavis Farquharson, Acting Inspector of Poor within the Ministry of Local Government and Community Development shared how the donation will be benefitting residents of the shelter, “We don’t have enough money to meet the needs of all our residents so this donation is a big help. What many persons may not know is that some of the residents actually work and some go to school at the HEART TRUST/NTA, so donations like this one serves encouragement to them to work harder to be successful. We do hope that other corporate companies will follow Digicel and also give back.”
Sophia Brown, a victim of the Mark Lane fire shared similar sentiment, lauding Digicel for their donations, “A lot of people come down here and look at us but only some of them actually deliver on their promise, so big up Digicel because we really need the help.”
Almost 50 persons lost their homes and personal belongings in a fire at Mark Lane on December 4.