1) What is number portability?
Number portability allows you to change service providers without having to change your telephone number. This means that now you can sign up to become a Digicel customer and still keep the mobile number that you are accustomed to and that your friends and family are familiar with.
2) What are the benefits of number portability?
A major benefit is that there will be no need to advise friends, family, colleagues, customers, and clients that your telephone number has changed. Businesses, in particular, will not incur the expense of changing their letterheads, business cards, etc.
3) What is “porting”?
“Porting” is the term used to describe the process by which you move your telephone number from one service provider to another.
4) When has number portability begun?
Number portability began in Jamaica in June 2015 for all mobile telephone numbers (prepaid and postpaid).
5) Will I be able to keep my mobile telephone number if I move to another country?
No. However, your ported mobile telephone number can roam in other countries where the service provider permits.
6) What will it cost to port my mobile telephone number?
There is no further charge to porting your mobile telephone number(s).
7) Will there be ‘hidden’ costs/charges for porting my mobile telephone number?
There are no hidden costs or charges related to porting. However, before you can port, you may be required to pay off any outstanding bills or contractual charges* that may be owing to your current provider before being able to port.
*Contractual charges may be incurred as a result of ending your contract prematurely with your current service provider. We recommend that you check with your current provider to confirm if there are any contractual charges if you would like to “port” your number to our network.
8) Will Number Portability result in additional fees/charges for local calls made on network and between service provider networks?
The charges applicable to your service after porting your mobile telephone number will be based on the terms and conditions of the package you select with Digicel.
Charges may be completely different from those of your previous service provider.